The Horde...

Friday, June 17, 2011

Write, Woman! Write!

So - you'll find out in the coming days exactly who everyone is. But I was sharing my idea for this blog with my 14 year old nephew/foster son. He frankly is amazing. This kid is maybe the reason I've rethought almost every aspect of my life in the past few months - from parenting style to my stand on drugs, ethics, morality and what it means to be family. Most importantly what it means to be family.
Just about three months ago, I became the 'kinship' parent to my two nephews and my niece. This means that they were given into my care by Child Protective Services. We all embarked on a very strange journey - and at times that means running uphill. We've had to face a stunning array of issues in a very short time - dealing with blending the two families (my four and the 'new' three), handling the constant scrutiny of various state and local government agencies, the mega-drama of our extended family, a still pending divorce (for me), the pins-and-needles day to day angst of what would happen next and if we would even be able to remain together (seven is over the limit for allowed children if any are in foster care- we had to appeal to the judge and state systems for an exception).
So - I told my big boy what I was thinking with this blog. And his response? Write woman! Write! I hope he'll contribute as well, but if not, I 'll handle it for all of us. I've discovered I'm not so bad at that part. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment